Monday, June 29, 2009

Lemmings Remake

Summary

I've always been a great fan of the Lemmings games. As a kid I used to draw up my own level designs on paper and have my friends solve them. As I grew more confident with Java, I finally decided to take it a step further.

Basically, it's Lemmings 1, with the original eight skills, but with my own graphics, animations and level designs. I also included fast forward and highlighting from the sequels for better playability.

Technologies I Used

  • Java (Swing for graphics)
  • GIMP to create the levels and animations

Charting New Territory

This was the first real-time graphical game I've created, so I had a lot to learn about drawing in Swing and working with the frame rate. And, of course it was my first attempt at pixel animation, which I think worked out great! I used a primitive but functional method of laying the frames out on a grid, then separating them in the program.

For future use, I created a generic package that handles the real-time updates and animations in games like this. I've used it in a couple of later games. It could use some performance optimization, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment